Name:
Location: Kentucky, United States

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

First Impressions

Two days of the rechristened "Jared" diet and I'm down about 1.5 pounds. I have not remotely lost that much fat, but a combination of system sludge and water. It is important to note that during the time I am trying this diet, I'm also packing the house to move out of state. My current activity level is higher than normal although I am not specifically exercising every day.

My initial impression of this diet is that adding 18 inches of low-fat Subway per day would have the net effect of decreasing fat and calories and increasing fiber for most Americans. As a caveat, this diet is very low in fat and protein without modification to the sandwiches and balancing factors during the rest of the day. The big, bready subs are delicious and fairly filling, but without protein and fat I am soon hungry again.

The cost is moderate. It would certainly be cheaper to do this at home. However, most people are not going to chop up lettuce, tomatoes, onions, green peppers, cucumbers, olives and hot peppers every day. If they did, most of it would go to waste. The precut vegetables are, in my opinion, the heart of this plan. Sure, you could slap turkey and cheese on bread at home but it isn't nearly as satisfying as a bread and vegetable football with turkey and cheese.

The hunger level is moderate, but this depends on where you are coming from. For me, this diet (at an adjusted 1800 calories per day) is well below maintenance. In fact, I woke up early because I was quite hungry. Unfortunately, weight loss does sometimes involve being hungry. A very low fat and protein plan tends to increase hunger as your blood sugar fluctuates more highly.

I strongly recommend buying your own baked chips, or better yet rice and soy chips. This will save money and, in the case of soy chips, change your macronutrient balance for the day. I also recommend supplementing with a whey protein shake at least once daily.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home