Name:
Location: Kentucky, United States

Sunday, September 17, 2006

In the course of looking up the so-called "Subway diet" I found this site. At first I thought, "A site with that many diet reviews? Why am I bothering?" However... they got the plan wrong.

It's the SUBWAY Diet! It isn't rocket science. Even though it has been years, I remember that Jared ate a 6-inch sandwich with light chips for lunch and a 12-inch sandwich for dinner (no chips) and that one sandwich (the 12 inch, I believe) did not have cheese. I do believe that the total diet is under 1000 calories which isn't enough for me, but they give no details! It's all public, so how long would it take to find the details, pop over to the Subway website, run some analysis of macronutrients, grab a link and pop back?

Let's find out.

Here is Jared's actual diet. 2 minutes

What he ate everyday:

* Breakfast - coffee
* Lunch - "I ate the 6-inch turkey, tons of vegetables, including hot peppers and a bit of spicy mustard." He left off the mayonnaise and cheese and had a bag of Baked Lays® potato chips and a diet soft drink
* Dinner - Footlong veggie sub - again no mayonnaise or cheese.

My mistake, no cheese. (An additional 90 seconds to paste this while chatting with a friend.)

Analysis:

Coffee - 0 calories
6 - inch turkey:
280 calories, 4.5 grams of fat, 46 grams of carbs, 4 grams dietary fiber, 18 grams protein.
Lay's Baked Chips (plain) (from the Frito Lay Website, less than a minute):
110 cal, 1.5g fat, 23g carb, 2g dietary fiber, 2gproteinn
12 inch veggie sub:
460 cal, 6g fat, 88g carbs, 8g dietary fiber, 18g protein

Totals: 850 calories, 12g fat, 157g carbs, 14g dietary fiber, 38g protein (10 minutes, still chatting)

Okay, so there are some very important details here. First, this is a very low calorie diet. Not 1000 calories a day unless your Subway puts cubic inches of mustard on the sandwich. Second, it gets 13% of its calories from fat and 18% from protein making it very low fat and low protein. If I was willing to do it without adjustment (and I'm not) it would be a great transition to vegetarianism prior to the October vegan experiment. Now to decide if I can adjust this diet and still capture the basic idea - I'm afraid at 850 calories per day it's about half what I want to eat but I am *not* shoving down 3 feet of sandwich every day.

1 Comments:

Blogger Gluten Free Newbie said...

So, apparently several people have given me the dope that Jared didn't eat the Subway diet but instead ate 1800 calories a day including the above. Breakfast, two subs, and a salad as a late night snack was one report... frankly, I like that a lot better so that's what I'm going to try.

12:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home